Travellers and Gypsies are modern people who are often well integrated into our communities. However, the media and public perceptions often view them as a ‘problem’ within our society. This can lead to misunderstandings, prejudice, and conflict, and engender myths.
If we work with community then we should know a little something about them, their ways, their histories and the barriers that exist for them
Chat with members of the Traveller & Gypsy communities and those that work with them.
- To increase awareness about the cultural diversity of Gypsy/Traveller
- To inspire and improve the services and provision delivered to Gypsy/Travellers communities and to generate trust and understanding between GRT communities and local authority service providers.
- To challenge preconceptions and reduce barriers to conflicts that can arise
- To Understand differences in accommodation needs.
- Apply knowledge to your own practice.
- Strengthen rapport with the community in developing good practice, equality and inclusion.
- Acknowledge the history and culture when determining sentence planning activities.
- Create an inclusive environment free from discrimination.
By the end the session participants will have:
- Increase the understanding of the barriers that stand in the way of Gypsy, community achieving their full potential.
- Identify obstacles and barriers in accessing education, health, employment, accommodation, safeguarding and other public services,
- Strengthen the engagement with all agencies
- Find out the history of the various groups of Travellers
- Improve the outcomes for offenders from the Travelling community
- Networking opportunities
- Challenge the myths and preconceptions on the way the Gypsy community are portrayed
- A chance to meet Gypsy, Roma and Travellers, listen to them speak about a variety of issues that affect their everyday life,
- Ask questions directly to the Gypsy and Traveller community.
- Improve relationships and understanding between the service user and the provider
- Improve more meaningful engagement